Βοηθηστε με vα καtαλαβω Ιντερνετ στην Ελλαδα

kalotte
 Κοινοποίηση

Μενω στην Αμερικη και θα ηθελα να στειλω ενα computer σε ενα φιλο που ειναι αναπηρος, στην Αθηνα.

Εχει ενα κοινο τηλεφωνο οπως ολοι. Περασα ωρες διαβαζοντας σελιδες της HOL και δεν τις καταλαβαινω καθολου

Εγω ξερω μονο τι συμβαινει εδω, αν κανεις εχει ΑμερικαΟνΛινε(ΑΟΛ), η, cable modem.

Me AOL, πληρωνω την ΑΟΛ περιπου $25 το μηνα, και δεν πληρωνω τιποτα αλλο-χρισιμοποιει την ιδια τηλ. γραμμη που εχω το τηλεφωνο μου, και το τηλεφωνημα στον ΑΟΛ αριθμο που με συνδεει στο Ιντερνετ ειναι δωρεαν, ακομα κάι αν ειμαι στο Ιντερνετ ολη μερα.

Με το cable modem συνδεομαι στο Ιντερνετ με την εταιρια που εχω τηλεοραση για $45 το μηνα, ωστε δεν χρισιμοποιει τηλ. γραμμη.

* Μπορω να σε ρωτησω΅-μπορει ο φιλος μου να πληρωνη μονο το μηνιαιο ποσον οπως εγω, η θα πληρωνη στην τηλ. εταιρια (ΟΤΕ) ΕΠΙΣΗΣ, για καθε ωρα η λεπτα που ειναι συνδεμενος, ας πουμε βια HELLAS ON LINE (HOL)?

*Επισης, ας πουμε οτι συνδεθηκε-μπορει να εχη δωρεαν email απο Υαhoo.com η Hotmail.com οπως εχουμε εδω?

*Επισης, μπορει να εχη "Instant Messenger" σαν της ΑΟΛ το ΑΙΜ, η το ΜΣΝ Μessenger? Μιλαω πολυ καλα Αγγλικα αν προτιμας να απαντησεις στα Αγγλικα.

Σ'ευχαριστω με ολη μου την καρδια,

Αθηνα

Kalotte8@hotmail.com

Αθηνά γειά :)

There are mainly three sorts of internet connections in Greece: dial-up/PSTN, DSL and ISDN. We don't have cable internet, because we don't have cable TV.

Dial-up/PSTN: Uses a normal telephone line. What the computer needs is a dial-up modem. You also need a subscription to an ISP (Internet Service Provider) such as Forthnet or Hellas-On-Line; subsricption costs monthly 10-15euros; additionally you pay 17-35cents/hour while being online. Speed is 56kbps.

DSL: You require a DSL-modem. You also need a DSL subscription to an ISP and a DSL line from the phone-company(OTE); total costs approx. 60euros/month. You pay no additional fees while being online. Speed is 384kbps.

I wont write about ISDN because of the high price/performance ratio.

No matter what sort of connection he chooses, he will be able to use any Instant Messenger and any web-based email (hotmail.com, gmail.com etc)

Edit: Μόλις διάβασα τα υπόλοιπα μηνύματά σου στο forum· αναρρωτιέμαι γιατί το έγραψα στα αγγλικά :p

ΓΕΙΑ ΣΟΥ ΦΙΛΛΙΠΠΕ,

Actually I understand English better about technical matters-thank you so much for your response!!!!!!

In a few sentences you managed to totally explain what Hellas on Line cannot, in numerous pages!!!

My last question is this: The DSL line he gets from OTE is dedicated , right? So he should get a new phone line, just for DSL, in order to be able to use his telephone WHILE he is online.

In this case his expenses would be for the DSL connectiohn from HellasOnLine, and the monthly fee to OTE for the dedicated DSL line.

Thank you so much in advance my friend!!!!

Athena

If he gets DSL he needs:

An ISP subscription + a (yes, dedicated) DSL line from OTE = total costs ~60euros. More on DSL prices: here.

Note that a DSL connection will have a high one time cost (installation/activation fees, dsl modem+router etc).

Kalotte you could also consider ISDN which may be more expensive than normal pstn,but he will have the opportunity to be online and also on the phone when needed :)
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4932/moodswf6.jpg

Thank you SO MUCH Phillipe, I so appreciate your answer! Now all I have to find out is if the laptop I plan to send him, a Compac Armada, which says 'Input 100-240V -0.95A" "50-60Hz" can be used there. It's the '.95A" that confuses me.

Would you know anything about that?

Athena

Athena

Me AOL, πληρωνω την ΑΟΛ περιπου $25 το μηνα, και δεν πληρωνω τιποτα αλλο-χρισιμοποιει την ιδια τηλ. γραμμη που εχω το τηλεφωνο μου, και το τηλεφωνημα στον ΑΟΛ αριθμο που με συνδεει στο Ιντερνετ ειναι δωρεαν, ακομα κάι αν ειμαι στο Ιντερνετ ολη μερα.

Ι wish it was the same here... OTE is stealing from us, we pay the subscription every 6-12 months PLUS the time we are online :mad:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

concerning Dsl lines, he Won't need a second,dedicated phone line.The existing one is also used for the dsl connection. The reason is that the network 'waves' are passing to a higher Mhz-Khz band than the phone so the telephone its not busy.Thats mainly the reason why Dsl has such kind of speed to internet connections.

the cost for a 384 aDSL line is

25 euros monthly for OTE additional to telephone monthly costs for the lease of adsl line.

30-60 euros for the internet provider (forthnet,otenet,acn,Hol etc)

you can have more information and prices from here ->

http://www.adslgr.com/features/ispsdirectory/index.html

the prices as described are including the Vat and they reffer to one month use.

from October 1st we are expecting a small redeuce to OTE's cost of line from 25 euros to 19 approx.

"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,

ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

paidia sorry pou tha vgo ektos thematos alla ida ti sas xreonoun gia adsl stin ellada kai paroligo na patho singkopi :wacko: 1024 Kbps apo €187,49 mexri €260,41

kai ego pou pisteva oti plirona polla stin i-choice <-> cytanet (kipros) http://www.i-choice.cyta.com.cy/greek/

Αναλύτικά:

Τηλεφωνική υπηρεσία-Μηνιαία συνδρομή 5,00

Πρόσβαση CYTANET-Μηνιαία συνδρομή 6,50

CYTANET NetRunner fast-Μηνιαία συνδρομή 12,00

i-choice 1000-Μηνιαία συνδρομή 18,00

Ολικό πριν απο το ΦΠΑ 41,50

ΦΠΑ 41,50 @ 15% 6,22

Ολικό Πληρωτέο £47,72 (75 EURO)

EDIT: ksexasas na anafero oti me £23,00/μήνα 36 EURO mporo na exo to mivision http://www.mivision.cyta.com.cy/ omos logo elipsi xronou den to exo egkatastisi akomh :o

Buy, Sell or Rent Properties Around The World! - Real Estate Listings

Αρχικό Μήνυμα από το μέλος kalotte (19 Σεπ. 2004 , 01:39)

Thank you SO MUCH Phillipe, I so appreciate your answer! Now all I have to find out is if the laptop I plan to send him, a Compac Armada, which says 'Input 100-240V -0.95A" "50-60Hz" can be used there. It's the '.95A" that confuses me.

Would you know anything about that?

Athena

It can be used here. Input 100-240V Means that it works in Europe + the U.S. (auto sensing power adapter)

Xourxoulitso, Φίλιππος ,hostolis ,porcupine, cosco, ariadgr,

You guys ROCK-thank you SO MUCH for your helful and intelligent information!!!!! I appreciate it so much-you have no idea how much!

I see so many 'αηδιες' in the American forums, this one is like a breath of fresh air!!!

A big hug to you!

Athena

? wish it was the same here... OTE is stealing from us, we pay the subscription every 6-12 months PLUS the time we are online

It used to be almost the same here, some years back: AmericaOnLine had phone numbers in SOME cities only- for those who lived nearby, it was a free call, since our phone companies do not charge us for local calls. Those who lived far away, would choose AOL phone numbers to connect to, that were closest to them.

Eventually, I don't think anyone pays anything to connect, as time passed and AOL added more and more local numbers and/or toll-free (800) numbers. I guess as things progress, they get cheaper-isn't that the rule.....

But it seems that in the beginning they charge more to get money for their initial expenses etc.... esp.because they don't have that many customers early on...as they get more customers and all their stuff (connections, etc) are already in place, plus competition, drives prices down...right?

Athena

More or less, but we in Greece don't understand what 'depreciation' is and we like to whinge about everything; DSL prices have fallen by 50-75% since its launch 1-2 years ago.

? wish it was the same here... OTE is stealing from us, we pay the subscription every 6-12 months PLUS the time we are online

It used to be almost the same here, some years back: AmericaOnLine had phone numbers in SOME cities only- for those who lived nearby, it was a free call, since our phone companies do not charge us for local calls. Those who lived far away, would choose AOL phone numbers to connect to, that were closest to them.

Eventually, I don't think anyone pays anything to connect, as time passed and AOL added more and more local numbers and/or toll-free (800) numbers. I guess as things progress, they get cheaper-isn't that the rule.....

But it seems that in the beginning they charge more to get money for their initial expenses etc.... esp.because they don't have that many customers early on...as they get more customers and all their stuff (connections, etc) are already in place, plus competition, drives prices down...right?

Athena

Well.... I have been reading for hours the pages of services and charges from OTE, VIVODI, etc.....what I see is that they use "word for word" translation from English pages to Greek, and also the use of automated translation programs is evident, resulting in an almost unintelligible barage of techno-speak in very formal Greek. The kind of language no one can understand. :(

Add to that minute technical info. from their manuals, and you have a built-in reason people would yawn and leave the site. How their high executives don't see that this costs them lost customers is a mystery to me....

Vivodi's site is much more understood than OTE's, but still will sound like gibberish to the average layman. It also seems to be cheaper.

Thank you for reading my gripe!